🎥 Up Periscope – 1959
The Story …
Up Periscope” is a thrilling World War II submarine drama that follows the daring mission of Lieutenant Ken Braden, portrayed by James Garner, as he embarks on a perilous adventure deep behind enemy lines.
The film combines elements of espionage, suspense, and underwater action, making it a captivating tale of courage and intrigue.
The story begins with Lieutenant Ken Braden, a naval officer with a special set of skills, selected for a top-secret mission. Braden’s objective is to infiltrate a Japanese-held island in the Pacific, where an enemy submarine base is suspected to be operating.
His mission is to gather crucial intelligence that could shift the tides of the war …
To accomplish this perilous task, Braden adopts a false identity, posing as a civilian on the island. He establishes contact with a local woman, Reiko, who becomes his connection to the Japanese forces. With danger lurking around every corner, Braden’s mission becomes a high-stakes game of deception and risk.
As Braden continues his covert work on the island, the narrative takes an intense turn when he is assigned to join the crew of the USS Barracuda, a U.S. Navy submarine. This new mission involves taking the submarine into treacherous waters near the Japanese-occupied island to obtain critical information.
Braden faces a series of challenges aboard the USS Barracuda as the submarine encounters enemy destroyers and depth charges. The tension builds as the crew navigates the dangerous waters and works to complete their mission, while Braden strives to balance his undercover work with his duties on the submarine.
“Up Periscope” delivers a gripping tale of espionage and wartime suspense, with James Garner’s Lieutenant Braden at the center of the action. The film showcases the sacrifices, dangers, and complexities faced by those engaged in espionage during World War II.
The narrative comes to a climax as the USS Barracuda approaches the Japanese-held island, where Braden must put everything on the line to secure the vital information needed to aid the war effort. The film’s resolution is filled with suspense, action, and the ultimate test of Braden’s mettle.
“Up Periscope” is a classic submarine thriller that keeps audiences on the edge of their seats, delivering a compelling story of bravery and covert operations in the midst of a global conflict.
James Garner’s charismatic performance and the film’s realistic portrayal of naval life during World War II have solidified its place as a timeless classic in the world of cinematic suspense and intrigue.
- Directed by Gordon Douglas
- Screenplay by Richard H. Landau
- Based on Up Periscope 1956 novel by Robb White
- Produced by Aubrey Schenck, Howard W. Koch and Edwin F. Zabel
- Narrated by Edmond O’Brien
- Cinematography : Carl E. Guthrie
- Edited by John F. Schreyer
- Music by Ray Heindorf
- Distributed by Warner Bros.
- Release Date : March 4, 1959
- James Garner as Lt. (j.g.) Kenneth M. Braden
- Edmond O’Brien as Commander Paul Stevenson
- Andra Martin as Sally Johnson
- Alan Hale Jr. as Ensign/Lt. (j.g.) Pat Malone (billed as Alan Hale)
- Carleton Carpenter as Lt. Phil Carney
- William Leslie as Lt. Doherty
- Frank Gifford as Ensign Cy Mount
- Henry Kulky as Chief Petty Officer York
- Edd Byrnes as Pharmacist Mate Ash (billed as Edward Byrnes)
- Richard Bakalyan as Seaman Peck
- Sean Garrison as Seaman Floyd
- Warren Oates as Seaman Kovacs
- Saundra Edwards as a bar girl
Film Information Source :
Copyright Protected :
ALL RIGHTS TO THIS MOVIE REMAIN WITH THE OWNERS