🎥 Trouble In Store – 1953
The Story …
Norman (Norman Wisdom), a lowly stock clerk at Burridge’s department store, is in love with another employee, Sally Wilson (Lana Morris), though he has been unable to muster the courage to let her know how he feels.
After he antagonizes the new head of the store, Augustus Freeman (Jerry Desmonde), he is promptly fired. On his way out, Norman helps Miss Bacon (Margaret Rutherford) carry her bulging suitcases, unaware that she is an audacious shoplifter.
Freeman sees Norman assisting a “customer” and rehires him …
Meanwhile, Peggy Drew (Moira Lister), the store’s personnel manager, flirts with Mr. Freeman, while plotting with her boyfriend Gerald (Derek Bond) to rob the place. Norman is fired and rehired again and again, as his escapades somehow manage to benefit the store. He also finally becomes acquainted with Sally, chasing her down through the city streets to return her handbag. His antics make her laugh.
After his latest firing, Norman is alarmed to find the handsome, suave Gerald trying to get to know Sally better. When he goes to the man’s apartment to warn him to stay away from her, Norman inadvertently uncovers the robbery plot, scheduled to coincide with a big sale the next day. But, he is unable to get Sally or anyone else to take him seriously.
Sally eventually decides to bring Norman’s story to the attention of the management, but tells the wrong person, Miss Drew, and is tied up for her efforts.
Norman finds her and together, they foil the thieves. Freeman takes Norman back into his employ…but not for long.
- Directed by John Paddy Carstairs
- Written by John Paddy Carstairs, Maurice Cowan, Ted Willis and Jill Craigie
- Produced by Maurice Cowan and Earl St. John
- Cinematography : Ernest Steward
- Edited by Geoffrey Foot and Peter Seabourne
- Music by Mischa Spoliansky
- Production Company : Two Cities Films
- Distributed by General Film Distributors and Republic Pictures
- Release Date : 14 December 1953
- Norman Wisdom as Norman
- Lana Morris as Sally Wilson
- Moira Lister as Peggy Drew
- Jerry Desmonde as Augustus Freeman
- Derek Bond as Gerald
- Margaret Rutherford as Miss Bacon the shoplifter
- Megs Jenkins as Miss Gibson, Norman’s loyal friend in the stockroom
- Michael Brennan as Davis
- Michael Ward as Wilbur
- Joan Sims as Edna
- Eddie Leslie as Bill
- Joan Ingram as Miss Denby
- Cyril Chamberlain as Alf
- Ronan O’Casey as Eddie
- Roddy Hughes as Taffy
- Graham Tonbridge as Mr. Graham – Department Head
- Esma Cannon as Woman at cafe
Film Information Source :
Copyright Protected :
ALL RIGHTS TO THIS MOVIE REMAIN WITH THE OWNERS