🎥 The Last Frontier – 1955
The Story …
Trapper Jed Cooper (Victor Mature) and his two best friends Gus (James Whitmore) and Mungo (Pat Hogan) are relieved of their possessions by some unfriendly Indians, so they seek shelter at a nearby army fort, commanded by Captain Riordan (Guy Madison).
The captain recruits the three men as scouts. Also at the fort is Corrina Marston (Anne Bancroft), waiting for her missing husband, Colonel Frank Marston (Robert Preston) …
Jed quickly falls in love with Mrs. Marston, sensing her ambivalence about her husband; when the colonel returns, he is revealed to be an unmitigated tyrant.
Colonel Marston is driven to redeem himself after a disastrous battle at Shiloh, where over a thousand of his men were killed unnecessarily.
Marston wants to attack the regional Indian chief, Red Cloud, believing this will restore his good name and return him to the battle back east.
He ignores the fact that most of the men at the fort are raw recruits, hopelessly outnumbered and completely unprepared for the vicious fighting they will face with the Indians.
Jed is faced with the decision of letting Marston go on with his mad scheme, or finding a way to do away with him.
- Directed by Anthony Mann
- Written by Philip Yordan and Russell S. Hughes
- Based on The Gilded Rooster 1947 novel by Richard Emery Roberts
- Produced by William Fadiman
- Cinematography : William C. Mellor
- Edited by Al Clark
- Music by Leigh Harline
- Production Company : Columbia Pictures
- Distributed by Columbia Pictures
- Release Date : December 7, 1955
- Victor Mature as Jed Cooper
- Guy Madison as Captain Glenn Riordan
- Robert Preston as Colonel Frank Marston
- James Whitmore as Gus
- Anne Bancroft as Corinna Marston
- Russell Collins as Captain Phil Clarke
- Peter Whitney as Sergeant Major Decker
- Pat Hogan as Mungo
Film Information Source :
Copyright Protected :
ALL RIGHTS TO THIS MOVIE REMAIN WITH THE OWNERS