🎥 The City of the Dead – 1960
The Story …
In 1692 in fictional Whitewood, Massachusetts, a witch named Elizabeth Selwyn is burned at the stake.
Before her death, Selwyn and her accomplice, Jethrow Keane, sold their souls to Lucifer for eternal life and revenge on Whitewood in return for providing the Devil with two yearly virgin human sacrifices on the Hour of Thirteen during Candlemas Eve and the Witches’ Sabbath.
In the present day, following his lecture on witchcraft, a university history professor, Alan Driscoll, advises an interested student named Nan Barlow to visit Whitewood during her vacation to slake her interest in witchcraft by studying Whitewood’s history …
Nan settles in The Raven’s Inn, a hotel owned by eccentric Mrs. Newless, becoming acquainted with the only normal-seeming local resident Patricia Russell, who loans her a book on witchcraft. Reading the book, Nan learns that this night is Candlemas Eve.
She is lured down to the basement and is restrained on a satanic altar by Mrs. Newless and members of her coven. Mrs. Newless reveals herself to be Elizabeth Selwyn before proceeding to sacrifice Nan.
Two weeks later, Nan’s concerned fiancé, Bill Maitland, and her brother, Richard, learn The Raven’s Inn does not exist in any phone directory. They are visited by Patricia, who is also concerned with Nan’s disappearance. The men travel separately to Whitewood, and Bill barely survives a car crash caused by an apparition of Selwyn.
Richard reaches Whitewood and meets up with Patricia before visiting her grandfather, Reverend Russell, who reveals that Whitewood is under the control of Selwyn’s coven.
Soon after, Patricia is kidnapped as the coven’s sacrifice, and Richard attempts to save her before they are cornered in the graveyard. Professor Driscoll is revealed to be a coven member. A severely-injured Bill arrives at the last minute and succeeds in extricating a large wooden cross from the ground.
After being gravely wounded by Selwyn, Bill uses the last of his strength to burn the coven members alive under the cross’s shadow …
The story unfolds …
“Lee is the master of horror! …”
- Directed by : John Llewellyn Moxey
- Screenplay by : George Baxt
- Story by : Milton Subotsky
- Produced by : Seymour S. Dorner, Max Rosenberg, Milton Subotsky and Donald Taylor
- Cinematography : Desmond Dickinson
- Edited by : John Pomeroy
- Music by : Douglas Gamley, Ken Jones (jazz)
- Production Company : Vulcan
- Distributed by : British Lion
- Release Dates : September 1960
- Christopher Lee as Alan Driscoll
- Dennis Lotis as Richard ‘Dick’ Barlow
- Patricia Jessel as Elizabeth Selwyn / Mrs. Newless
- Tom Naylor as Bill Maitland
- Betta St. John as Patricia Russell
- Venetia Stevenson as Nan Barlow
- Valentine Dyall as Jethrow Keane
- Ann Beach as Lottie
- Norman MacOwan as Reverend Russell
- Fred Johnson as The Elder
- James Dyrenforth as Garage Attendant
- Maxine Holden as Sue
- William Abney as Policeman
Copyright Protected :
ALL RIGHTS TO THIS MOVIE REMAIN WITH THE OWNERS