🎥 Chisum – 1970
The Story …
In Lincoln County, New Mexico, John Chisum, a kindly and successful cattle baron, finds his peace threatened when amoral Lawrence Murphy and his business partner James Dolan forcibly buy up most of the land and businesses in the area.
Initially, Chisum tries to not get involved, though he does allow ranchers forced out by Murphy to water their herds on his land.
Bribed by Murphy, corrupt Sheriff Brady secretly hires Neemo and his group of banditos, who kill two of Chisum’s men and steal a herd of horses. Chisum and his men pursue the thieves, retrieve the horses, and discover the American money in the Mexican outlaw’s pocket. They are assisted by Billy “The Kid” Bonney, a notorious killer who was recently hired and given a chance to reform by John Henry Tunstall, Chisum’s philanthropic British neighbour …
Chisum’s niece Sallie arrives in Lincoln to live with her uncle, and Billy begins to court her. Alexander McSween, invited by Murphy to be his lawyer, arrives with his wife Sue on the same stagecoach.
During Sallie’s welcome party, Murphy sends Jess Evans and his gang to rustle Chisum’s beeves, which are being taken to the United States Army to feed the Native Americans on a nearby reservation. A wandering Pat Garrett warns Chisum’s men of the approaching riders; during the subsequent shootout, one of Chisum’s wranglers dies and the cows stampede away.
Chisum sends for Justice J.B. Wilson to try Murphy’s men for murder, but the damage is done and the Army starts buying its beeves from Murphy. McSween, not liking Murphy’s methods, switches sides.
McSween, Tunstall, and Chisum open a new store and bank to combat Murphy’s monopoly. Billy, Garrett, and several of Chisum’s men go to Santa Fe to get supplies to stock the store. Billy is nearly killed when Murphy has Evans attack the wagon train as it is returning to Lincoln; in response, Tunstall decides to go to Santa Fe to ask Governor Axtell to intervene in the land war.
Deputies Morton and Baker stop Tunstall on the road, falsely accuse him of rustling, shoot him dead, and plant a gun so it looks like Tunstall drew first.
Justice Wilson arrives in Lincoln during Tunstall’s funeral. Brady refuses to go after his own men, so Wilson deputizes Chisum and Garrett, and they track and capture the fugitive deputies in a nearby town. On the way back, Chisum separates from the group to get the judge. Billy, wanting revenge for his friend and mentor, and skeptical that justice will be done in Lincoln, knocks out Garrett and kills Morton and Baker.
He then rides into town, publicly murdering Brady before fleeing. Murphy convinces Governor Axtell to fire Justice Wilson and appoint bounty hunter Dan Nodeen, who harbors an old grudge against Billy, as sheriff.
While a large posse scours the countryside to find Billy, he gathers his allies, starting with two of Tunstall’s wranglers, Charlie Bowdre and Tom O’Folliard. They break into McSween’s store to get dynamite to rob Murphy’s bank, but Nodeen notices them inside, and a protracted firefight breaks out between Murphy’s and Billy’s men. McSween, unarmed and wanting no part of the battle, asks that he and his wife be allowed to leave, but only Sue is allowed to go.
When the shooting resumes, she flees to get Chisum, so Murphy has his men erect barricades in the streets of the town. McSween comes out to bargain with Murphy, and Nodeen shoots him in cold blood.
Chisum and his men arrive in Lincoln, driving Murphy’s own cattle before them to break through the barricades. Murphy’s men are defeated, with Billy personally pursuing and killing Evans. Chisum gets into a fistfight with Murphy, ending with both men falling from a balcony. Murphy is impaled on a decorative bull’s horn he was using as a weapon; Nodeen, his paymaster dead, leaves town, pursued by Billy.
Garret and Sallie begin a relationship. He is appointed Sheriff of Lincoln County, and the next governor of the territory, Lew Wallace, declares amnesty for those involved in the land war. With peace restored, Chisum goes up a hill to survey his land.
- Directed by Andrew V. McLaglen
- Written by Andrew J. Fenady
- Produced by Andrew J. Fenady
- Cinematography : William H. Clothier
- Edited by Robert L. Simpson
- Music by Dominic Frontiere
- Production Company : Batjac Productions
- Distributed by Warner Bros.
- Release Dates : June 24, 1970
- John Wayne as John Chisum
- Forrest Tucker as Lawrence Murphy
- Christopher George as Dan Nodeen
- Ben Johnson as James Pepper
- Glenn Corbett as Pat Garrett
- Andrew Prine as Alex McSween
- Bruce Cabot as Sheriff Brady
- Patric Knowles as Henry Tunstall
- Richard Jaeckel as Jess Evans
- Lynda Day as Sue McSween
- Geoffrey Deuel as Billy “The Kid” Bonney
- Pamela McMyler as Sallie Chisum
- John Agar as Amos Patton
- Lloyd Battista as Neemo
- Robert Donner as Morton
- Ray Teal as Justice J.B. Wilson
- Edward Faulkner as James Dolan
- Ron Soble as Charlie Bowdre
- John Mitchum as Baker
- Glenn Langan as Colonel Nathan Dudley
- Alan Baxter as Governor Samuel Beach Axtell
- Alberto Morin as Juan Delgado
- Bill Bryant as Jeff
- Pedro Armendáriz Jr. as Ben
- Christopher Mitchum as Tom O’Folliard
- John Pickard as Sergeant Braddock
- Abraham Sofaer as Chief White Buffalo
- Gregg Palmer as Karl Riker
- Hank Worden as Stationmaster Elwood
- Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez as Mexican Rancher
Film Information Source :
Copyright Protected :
ALL RIGHTS TO THIS MOVIE REMAINS WITH THE OWNERS