🎥 Cheaper by the Dozen – 1950
The Story :
The parents are the time and motion study and efficiency expert Frank Bunker Gilbreth Sr. and psychologist Lillian Moller Gilbreth.
The film shows typical days in the lives of a family in the 1920s, but here with 12 children and an efficiency engineer as the parent. Frank employs his unorthodox teaching methods on his children, and there are clashes between parents and children.
Frank takes every opportunity to study motion and increase efficiency, including filming his children’s tonsillectomies to see if there are ways to streamline the operation.
He escorts his daughter to her prom as a chaperone but ends up chatting and dancing with her female friends.
In the end, Frank is sent on a lecture tour to Europe, expecting to visit Prague and London. He phones Lillian from the station but the line goes dead as he has had a heart attack.
After Frank’s sudden death, the family agree that Lillian will continue with her husband’s work, beginning with giving his lectures in Europe; this enables the family to remain in their house, rather than move to their grandmother’s in California, although, with a widowed working mother and one income, the children will have to assume much greater responsibilities.
- Directed by : Walter Lang
- Screenplay by : Lamar Trotti
- Based on : Cheaper by the Dozen 1948 novel by Ernestine Gilbreth Carey and Frank Bunker Gilbreth Jr.
- Produced by : Lamar Trotti
- Narrated by : Jeanne Crain
- Cinematography : Leon Shamroy
- Edited by : James Watson Webb Jr.
- Music by : Cyril J. Mockridge
- Colour Process : Technicolor
- Production Company : 20th Century Fox
- Distributed by : 20th Century Fox
- Release Date : March 31, 1950
- Clifton Webb as Frank Bunker Gilbreth (father)
- Myrna Loy as Mrs. Lillian Moller Gilbreth (mother)
- Jeanne Crain as Ann Gilbreth
- Barbara Bates as Ernestine Gilbreth
- Betty Barker as Mary Gilbreth
- Patti Brady as Martha Gilbreth
- Norman Ollestad as Frank Gilbreth Jr.
- Carol Nugent as Lillie Gilbreth
- Jimmy Hunt as William Gilbreth
- Anthony Sydes as Fred Gilbreth
- Teddy Driver as Dan Gilbreth
- Roddy McCaskill as Jack Gilbreth
- Walter Baldwin as Jim Bracken
- Sara Allgood as Mrs. Monahan
- Evelyn Varden as School Principal
- Edgar Buchanan as Dr. Burton
- Mildred Natwick as Mrs Mebane
- Craig Hill as Tom
- Betty Lynn as Deborah Lancaster
Film Information Source :
Copyright Protected :
ALL RIGHTS TO THIS MOVIE REMAIN WITH THE OWNERS